What should you do following a work-related injury?

Blogs from July, 2021

Attorney Mark Rufo PC

If you are an employee in New Hampshire who sustained an injury while on the job, you may wonder whether you can access workers’ compensation. The short answer is yes. The New Hampshire Department of Labor requires that any business owner who hires employees has to have workers’ compensation insurance to cover them. There are some exceptions for self-employed people and corporations or LLCs with three or fewer executive officers.

However, if you are an employee, the law is very clear that your employer needs to have workers’ compensation coverage for you, even if you work for a nonprofit organization or your employer is a close relative. The coverage you receive depends on the extent of your injuries and how they relate to your work. To protect your benefits, there are a few things you have to do after becoming hurt on the job.

Get medical attention

The first thing you should do following a work-related injury is to seek medical treatment immediately at the emergency room. When you get there, you should be sure to inform them that it is a work-related injury.

Find out who the work comp insurer is

Chances are that you do not know the name of the company that provides workers’ compensation insurance to your employer. You will have to have your medical bills submitted to the insurer, so you should find out as soon as possible.

Get the necessary paperwork

The Department of Labor requires your employer to fill out a First Report of Injury. You should ask your employer to fill this out. You should receive a copy of this as well, so ask for it if necessary.

If your injury keeps you out of work for three or more days, you can make a claim for lost wages. However, you can only receive a percentage of what you would have earned without the injury.

Share To: